Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Very Brave Homosexual Muslims Celebrate their Dual Identities


Queer Muslims

A Tumblr by & for Queer Muslims - celebrating our dual identities.

This is not a space for debate or where we will feel compelled to justify our existence. This is a place for us to express ourselves without fear, to share resources, and to connect with other queer Muslims. 
Asks should keep the above in mind. We reserve the right to ignore asks, no matter how "polite", that deviate from our mission of a positive space for us. Negativity, "nasiha", name-calling, takfiring, questioning of our level of Islamic knowledge, and demands for us to justify our existence will NOT be published here or responded to. If people have personal questions/comments for the moderators that step outside the positive & affirming mission of this blog, they should go to our personal Tumblrs (though we make no promises that we will entertain you there either!)

Description: Photo of me, smiling and sitting on a bench outside in the sunshine. There are trees behind me. I’m wearing a green headscarf, jeans, a long-sleeved green top, and a white t-shirt that says “Queer + Muslim = Fabulous!” I’m holding a black cane.
Commentary: This photo was taken by a friend a couple weekends ago at the LGBT Muslim Retreat outside Philly, where I did a workshop on Islam & Disability. The dark green hijab is originally from Shukr, the lime green long-sleeved top is from Old Navy (XL), the white Queer + Muslim = Fabulous! shirt was specially made for the retreat (XL), and the jeans are no-gap size 22 Lee jeans - my FAVORITE pair and they fell apart as soon as I came home from the retreat. (I have worn them like 2x/week for the last 3-4 years…so…I guess it was time. But I was still heartbroken!) My sexy black cane was purchased at Wal-Mart :) I weigh about 225 in this photo (I’m 5’4”).




awyeahmona:  [Image: Two people in headscarves embracing intimately, appearing about to kiss.]  “I created this series of photos in response to Iran’s president Ahmadinejad’s naive comments that we do not have homosexuality in Iran. I wanted to say that we do have homosexuals and we have lots of them. My hope was to give solace to Muslims who feel they cannot be Muslims and homosexuals at the same time. I wanted to say that your love for God or belief in good for humanity should not determine who you’re choosing to love. My hope is that more people come to see that we should leave people to make their own choices, regarding who they want to love. I think the message of love from all of the prophets was lost, in all the noise from the later organizers of religions and their followers. I wish to remind people of that original intention of our belief in a higher good.”  - sicksoakedtrance
[Image: Two people in headscarves embracing intimately, appearing about to kiss.]
“I created this series of photos in response to Iran’s president Ahmadinejad’s naive comments that we do not have homosexuality in Iran. I wanted to say that we do have homosexuals and we have lots of them. My hope was to give solace to Muslims who feel they cannot be Muslims and homosexuals at the same time. I wanted to say that your love for God or belief in good for humanity should not determine who you’re choosing to love. My hope is that more people come to see that we should leave people to make their own choices, regarding who they want to love. I think the message of love from all of the prophets was lost, in all the noise from the later organizers of religions and their followers. I wish to remind people of that original intention of our belief in a higher good.” 
  1. Muslim lesbian woman Honour her Parents

No comments:

Post a Comment